Department of Transport
A raft of transport-related Directions to Address, Prevent and Combat COVID-19 has been published.
The Directions were drawn up in terms of Disaster Management Act Regulations.
In Government Gazette 43270, the transport department published measures to address, prevent and combat the spread of COVID-19 determination of extension for the validity period of a learner’s licence, driving licence card, licence disc, professional driving permit and registration of a motor vehicle.
The aim of the Directions is to provide for the provision of improved access and hygiene, disinfection control on all premises of driving licence testing centres and vehicle testing centres and the validity period of licences.
The Directions apply to all holders of learner’s licence, driving licence, motor vehicle licence disk, temporary permit and road worthy certificates and professional driving permit issued with a safety permit in terms of the National Road Traffic Act.
The Directions focus on provision of improved access and hygiene, disinfection control on all driving licence testing centres and vehicle testing centres and validity period of licences.
Other Directions include:
• Gazette 43271 – Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19: Air Freight Operations Directions – focus on charter flights; compliance with disinfection measures; engineers and ground staff, inspections and servicing of aircraft at hangars and aviation training.
• Gazette 43272 – Public Transport Services Directions – focus on improved hygiene control and disinfection facilities on all public transport vehicles and public transport facilities; embarkation of passengers in public transport vehicles; prohibition of certain public transport service during alert level 4; public transport operating times; loading capacity of public transport vehicles and validity period for all public transport operating licences.
• Gazette 43273 – Preventative Measures in the Railway Operations (COVID-19 Control Measures on the Operations by Rail) Directions – focus on development of COVID-19 Management Plan; health and awareness; procedures at hand-over points, loading points and terminals depots; prohibition of overcrowding and overloading of trains; suspension of rail operations; resumption of commuter service and operating times.
• Gazette 43274 – Amendment to Measures to Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID-19 in the Public Transport Services – new Direction 8 on interprovincial travel by buses, taxis and private own vehicles is permitted and may continue to complete their journeys even during the declared curfew times.
• Gazette 43275 – Measures to Address, Prevent and Combat the Spread of COVID -19 in the Sea Ports Directions – focus on provision of improved access and hygiene, sterilization control on ships, sea ports and in licensed port operations; prohibition on cruise ships calling at any of the sea ports; repatriation of South African seafarers; evacuation and transportation of cargo.