Certain sections of the Protection of Personal Information Act will come into effect on 1 July 2020.
The presidency published Proclamation 21 in Government Gazette 43461.
The act was assented to at the end of 2013.
The Protection of Personal Information Act aims to:
• promote the protection of personal information processed by public and private bodies;
• introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information;
• provide for the establishment of an Information Regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of this Act and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000;
• provide for the issuing of codes of conduct;
• provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making;
• regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the Republic; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
The Proclamation indicates that sections 2 to 38; sections 55 to 109; section 111; and section 114(1), (2) and (3) will come into effect on 1 July 2020.
Sections 110 and 114(4) will come into effect on 30 June 2021.