Independent Communications Authority
Draft Price Cap Amendment Regulations for Reserved Postal Services have been drawn up.
The Independent Communications Authority (ICASA) published the draft Regulations in Government Gazette 44332 for comment.
A definition on “Price Control Period” is proposed. It means the “period commencing from 1 April XXXX and ending on 31 March XXXX or such period as may be determined by the Authority”.
A new Regulation 3 on General Price Control Formula is also proposed.
According to ICASA, the proposed Regulations will consider the Post Office’s cost structure such that it allows for “recovery of prudently and efficiently incurred costs” and allow the Post Office to earn profit “commensurate with risk as opposed to the current Price Cap formula which inadvertently causes SAPO to experience a shrinking profit margin annually”.
Comment is invited until 31 May 2021.
In Gazette 44333, ICASA published a Discussion Document on the Review of the Independent Broadcasting Authority (Advertising, Infomercials and Programme Sponsorship) Regulations.
ICASA also announced its intention to conduct an Inquiry regarding the Review of the Regulations.
The Inquiry is designed to determine the effectiveness of the Advertising Regulations and whether there is a need for amendments.
According to ICASA, Advertising Regulations are outdated and need to be reviewed as they have been in force for over eighteen years.
Comment is invited until 7 June 2021.
Other notices published by ICASA include:
• Gazette 44328 – amendment Standard Terms and Conditions Regulations for Class Licences under Chapter 3 of the Electronic Communications Act – in effect on date of publication;
• Gazette 44336 – amendment of the Class Licensing Processes and Procedures Regulations – in effect on date of publication;
• Gazette 44337 – Draft Mobile Broadband Services Regulations published for comment – Findings Document on Mobile Broadband Services Inquiry also published – comment within 30 working days from the date of publication;
• Gazette 44338 – Findings and Positions Document on the Review of the ICASA Must Carry Regulations plus Draft Must Carry Amendment Regulations published for comment until 21 May 2021;
• Gazette 44401 – applications received by ICASA in response to an invitation to pre-register for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) Community Television Broadcasting Service and Radio Frequency Spectrum Licences on Multiplex 1 (MUX 1) Frequencies – comment on the applications invited within 21 working days of publication.