Parliament has passed the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Amendment Bill and sent it to president Zuma for assent.
The bill was tabled in September 2015 and passed by the national assembly in November.
The proposed legislation is designed to allow for the electronic submission of candidate nominations and party lists for local government elections.
The bill seeks to amend the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Act of 2000.
The bill also aims to:
• Define an expression and amend a definition;
• Amend provisions relating to the nomination of candidates;
• Provide for different modalities for payment of electoral deposits;
• Provide for the notification of interested parties where a candidate has been nominated by more than one person or party;
• Clarify the circumstances in which marked ballot papers may be cancelled at the instance of voters; and
• Clarify the provisions relating to the determination and declaration of the results of by-elections.
The national council of provinces passed the bill on 25 February 2016.