Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs
The portfolio committee on home affairs has called for comment on the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Amendment Bill.
The bill was tabled in parliament earlier this month.
It seeks to amend the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Act of 2000.
The proposed legislation aims to allow for the electronic submission of candidate nominations and party lists for local government elections.
The bill also seeks to:
• Define an expression and amend a definition;
• Amend provisions relating to the nomination of candidates;
• Provide for different modalities for payment of electoral deposits;
• Provide for the notification of interested parties where a candidate has been nominated by more than one person or party;
• Clarify the circumstances in which marked ballot papers may be cancelled at the instance of voters; and
• Clarify the provisions relating to the determination and declaration of the results of by-elections.
Written comment is invited until 9 October 2015.
It can be emailed to email@example.com.