Select Committee on Land and Mineral Resources
The select committee on land and mineral resources has called for comment on the National Forests Amendment Bill.
The bill was passed by the national assembly and sent to the national council of provinces for concurrence in August 2018.
The bill was tabled in parliament in July 2016.
The portfolio committee on agriculture, forestry and fisheries called for comment on the bill in 2017.
The aim of the bill is to amend the National Forests Act of 1998 and to:
• provide for clear definitions of natural forests and woodlands;
• provide for public trusteeship of the nation’s forestry resources;
• increase the promotion and enforcement of sustainable forest management;
• increase the measures provided for in the Act to control and remedy deforestation;
• provide for appeals against decisions taken under delegated powers and duties;
• reinforce offences and penalties; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
Comment is invited until 28 February 2019.