Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
The Draft National Veldfire Amendment Bill is to be tabled in the National Assembly shortly.
This was announced by the publication of the draft bill’s explanatory summary in Notice 640 in Government Gazette 40334.
The purpose of the draft bill includes the following:
• To amend the National Veld and Forest Fire Act so as to insert new and to provide clarity on certain definitions;
• To provide for the facilitation of the formation of fire protection associations by a municipality or a traditional council;
• To amend the title of the Act to National Veldfire Act; and
• To amend the short title and to substitute the long title.
The draft bill was published for comment in 2015.
Meanwhile the department also published amendments to the following regulations:
• Notice 1217 – Regulations relating to Plant Breeders’ Rights;
• Notice 1218 – Regulations regarding the grading, packing and marking of bread wheat intended for sale in South Africa; and
• Notice 1230 in Gazette 40335 – Regulations regarding the grading, packing and marking of soft wheat intended for sale in South Africa.
In a separate matter, the department has announced the exemption of Abalone and West Coast rock lobster (Nearshore and Offshore) fishing companies and individuals that held long-term commercial fishing rights to undertake commercial fishing in these two sectors for the 2016/2017 fishing season.
The exemption holders will be able to apply for their respective permits to undertake commercial fishing for the 2016/17 season once the total allowable catch has been determined.