Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
The National Veld and Forest Fire Amendment Bill has been tabled in parliament.
The draft bill was published for comment in 2015.
The bill aims to:
• Amend the National Veld and Forest Fire Act so as to insert new and to provide clarity on certain definitions;
• Provide for the facilitation of the formation of fire protection associations by a municipality or a traditional council;
• Compel a municipality, state-owned enterprise, public entities or other organ of state which owns land to join the fire protection associations;
• Extend the powers of entry, search, seizure and arrest to peace officers and traditional leaders; and
• Amend the title of the Act to National Veldfire Act.
The bill will now be processed by the portfolio committee on agriculture, forestry and fisheries.