Department of Science and Technology
The Protection, Promotion, Development and Management of Indigenous Knowledge Systems Bill has been sent to the national council of provinces for concurrence.
The bill was tabled in parliament in April 2016.
The proposed legislation aims to provide for:
• the protection, promotion, development and management of Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS);
• the setting up and functions of the National Indigenous Knowledge Systems Office;
• the management of rights of indigenous knowledge holders;
• the establishment and functions of the Advisory Panel on IKS;
• access and conditions of access to knowledge of indigenous and local communities;
• the registration, accreditation and certification of indigenous knowledge practitioners; and
• the facilitation and coordination of indigenous knowledge systems-based innovation.
The bill will now be processed by the select committee on communications and public enterprises.