Department of Home Affairs
The Local Government: Municipal Electoral Amendment Bill of 2015 is heading for parliament.
The draft bill’s explanatory summary was published in Government Gazette 39080.
The proposed legislation aims to:
• Add a definition on “authorised representative” and amend the definition of “identity document”;
• Amend provisions relating to nomination of candidates;
• Provide for the electronic submission of candidate nomination documents;
• Provide for different modalities for payments of electoral deposits;
• Provide for the notification of interested parties where a candidate has been nominated by more than one person;
• Clarify the circumstances under which new ballot papers may be issued to voters; and
• Clarify the provisions relating to the determination and declaration of the results of by-elections.
Meanwhile, the home affairs department has published a list of police stations to be used as places of detention for illegal foreigners pending deportation or transfer to Lindela Holding Facility in order to be deported.
The list was drawn up in terms of the Immigration Act of 2002.