President Zuma has assented to the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Amendment Act.
Parliament passed the bill at the end of February 2016. It was tabled in September 2015.
The act is designed to allow for the electronic submission of candidate nominations and party lists for local government elections.
It amends the Local Government: Municipal Electoral Act of 2000.
The act also aims to:
• Define an expression and amend a definition;
• Amend provisions relating to the nomination of candidates;
• Provide for different modalities for payment of electoral deposits;
• Provide for the notification of interested parties where a candidate has been nominated by more than one person or party;
• Clarify the circumstances in which marked ballot papers may be cancelled at the instance of voters; and
• Clarify the provisions relating to the determination and declaration of the results of by-elections.
The act comes into effect on a date still to be determined by the president.