Department of Transport
The Draft Marine Pollution (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Amendment Bill is heading for parliament.
The transport department published the draft bill’s explanatory summary in Government Gazette 45300.
The proposed legislation designed to tackle sewerage and air pollution from ships was published for comment in 2019.
The draft bill aims to:
• amend the Marine Pollution (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act, 1986, so as to give effect to Annex IV of the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (“Convention”);
• incorporate the 1997 Protocol in order to give effect to Annex VI of the Convention; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
The plan is to table the draft bill in parliament in 2021.
Other notices include:
• Gazette 45291 – Draft Revised Amendment of Road Traffic Management Corporation Regulations published for comment – proposed fees- comment invited within 30 days of date of publication;
• Gazette 45275 – National Railway Safety Regulator Act – proposed safety permit fees for 2022/23 published for comment – comment within 30 days of the date of publication.