Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
The planning, monitoring and evaluation department is establishing an interdepartmental technical committee on the Draft Integrated Planning Framework Bill.
In a briefing in parliament, the department indicated that the technical committee is designed to ensure alignment with key stakeholders including the cooperative governance; agriculture, land reform and rural development and human settlements departments together with national treasury and the South African Local Government Association.
The draft bill was published for comment in 2018.
It seeks to:
• provide for the functions of the Department responsible for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation;
• establish an institutional framework for a new predictable planning paradigm and discipline within and across all spheres of government;
• support effective monitoring and evaluation of government programmes aimed at improved service delivery and positive impact on society;
• provide for the continued existence of the National Planning Commission;
• promote better coordination, collaboration and alignment of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation between and across the national, provincial and local spheres of government, and including public entities; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
According to the department, the technical committee will seek to align key functions and it will run in parallel to the legal review process and will produce an analysis report for incorporation into the draft bill.
The department also pointed out that the updated draft bill will follow the stipulated process that includes the conducting of a Socio Economic Impact Assessment and submission to the Office of the State Law Advisor.
The department confirmed that the updated draft bill will be published for comment in the next financial year.
As regards the National Spatial Development Framework (NSDF), the department pointed that it is in consultation with the agriculture, land reform and rural development department on implementation issues.
The department confirmed that the NSDF is still to be approved by cabinet.
A NSDF Implementation Colloquium is planned for 31 March 2021.