The Independent Municipal Demarcation Authority Bill has been tabled in parliament.
The cooperative governance department published the bill’s explanatory summary in Government Gazette 46552 at the end of last week.
The bill was published for comment in 2020.
It provides for the establishment, functions and powers of the Independent Municipal Demarcation Authority.
The bill also provides for the criteria and procedures for determination or redetermination of municipal boundaries and for the delimitation of wards.
The proposed legislation also aims to set up the Demarcation Appeals Authority and provides for the conducting of municipal capacity assessments.
The bill aims to provide for:
- the establishment, functions and powers of the Independent Municipal Demarcation Authority;
- the criteria and procedures for the determination and redetermination of municipal boundaries;
- the delimitation of wards;
- the establishment of the Demarcation Appeals Authority;
- municipal capacity assessments; and
- matters incidental thereto.
The portfolio committee on cooperative governance and traditional affairs will process the bill.