Department of Health
The department of health’s Language Policy is open for public comment.
Notice 442 was published in Government Gazette 38827.
The department, in line with the Use of Official Languages Act, recognizes its legal responsibility to promote multilingualism, language entity and the use of the 11 official languages.
The policy’s framework consists of:
• legislative instruments;
• purpose and regulatory context of this policy;
• the work of the National Department of Health (NDOF);
• communication with members of the public whose language of choice is not one of the official languages of the Republic;
• communication with members of the public whose language of choice is South African Sign Language;
• publication of and access to this policy;
• complaints mechanism; and
• review of the policy.
The policy will be reviewed whenever deemed necessary within five years.
An electronic copy of the English language policy has been translated into isiZulu and Sepedi and is available on the department’s website at www.health.gov.za.
Comment is invited until 1 June 2015.