Department of Small Business Development
The small business development department aims to create an enabling environment for Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMME) and Co-operatives to operate in.
The department highlighted this in a briefing in parliament on its 2022/23 Annual Performance Plan.
Plans to achieve this include:
- amending the National Small Enterprise Act and drawing up the Draft Small Enterprise Ombuds Service Bill;
- providing for a simple and enabling framework for procedures for application of licensing of business by setting national norms and standards;
- repealing the Businesses Act of 1991;
- finalising the SMMEs and Co-operatives Funding Policy to ensure improved access to affordable finance for SMMEs and Co-operatives; and
- Red Tape Reduction Programme to be implemented in partnership with provinces, ensuring that the growth of SMMEs and Co-operatives is not hindered by the red tape measures that exist in the system.
Other priorities include speeding up implementation of the Township and Rural Entrepreneurship Programme; implementing the Localisation Policy Framework and Implementation Programme on SMMEs and Co-operatives; Small Enterprise Manufacturing Programme; facilitating and ensuring the increase in the number of competitive small businesses and co-operatives is supported and sustaining SMMEs and Co-operatives by linking them to markets through an e-commerce platform.