Department of Employment and Labour
The Draft Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Amendment Bill is heading for parliament.
The employment and labour department published the draft bill’s explanatory summary in Government Gazette 43658.
The Draft Bill seeks to amend the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, 1993, so as to:
• amend, substitute, insert, delete and repeal certain definitions and sections;
• provide for matters pertaining to the Board and its members;
• provide for the Commissioner to perform certain functions that were previously performed by the Director-General;
• further provide for matters pertaining to the rehabilitation, re-integration and return to work of occupationally injured and diseased employees;
• regulate the use of health care services;
• provide for the Commissioner to review pension claims or awards;
• provide for administrative penalties;
• regulate compliance and enforcement; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
The draft bill will be tabled in parliament soon.
Meanwhile, in Gazette 43657, the department announced the extension of period of operation of the main collective agreement of the Bargaining Council for the Furniture Manufacturing Industry of the Western Cape.
The extension determined in terms of the Labour Relations Act ends on 30 June 2021.
In Gazette 43660, the department published:
• Notice 453 – list of bargaining councils accredited by the CCMA in terms of the provisions of the Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995 (as amended) for conciliation and/or arbitration and/or inquiry by arbitrator, with the terms of accreditation attached for the period 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2023 – Building Industry Bargaining Council (Southern and Eastern Cape);
• Notice 454 – private agency accredited to conduct conciliation and arbitration – Aequitate Dispute Resolution Services (Pty) Ltd – accredited for conciliations and arbitrations (including Inquiry by Arbitrator) from 1 August 2020 until 31 July 2023 on condition that the Agency meets all CCMA efficiencies and that accredited panelists are utilized to conduct disputes; and
• Notice 455 – registration of a trade union – Azanian Workers Movement.