Department of Employment and Labour
Comment is sought on the Draft Occupational Health and Safety Amendment Bill.
The draft bill’s explanatory summary was published in Government Gazette 44572 on 14 May 2021.
The draft bill seeks to amend the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993, so as to:
• delete, substitute and insert certain definitions;
• effect certain technical corrections;
• make further provision in respect of the health and safety of persons at work and for the health and safety of persons in connection with the use of plant and machinery;
• further regulate the protection of persons other than persons at work against hazards to health and safety arising out of or in connection with the activities of persons at work;
• further regulate the composition of an advisory council for occupational health and safety; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
The draft bill aims to strengthen the safety measures of workers in their respective workplaces and introduces provisions that empower employees to withhold their labour should they feel the environment is dangerous and unsafe without being victimized by employers.
The employment and labour department published the call for comment in Gazette 44610.
Comment is invited until 31 July 2021.