Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Following on its invitation to comment on the Draft Aquaculture Bill published in Notice 78 in Government Gazette 39713, the department of agriculture, forestry and fisheries has published a correction notice.
The correction notice, published in Notice 190 in Government Gazette 39723, contains the draft bill which was missing from the original notice.
The draft bill seeks to:
• to promote the development of an equitable, diverse, viable and competitive aquaculture sector;
• to create a harmonised enabling regulatory environment within a framework of sustainable development;
• to improve coordination in the regulation of the aquaculture sector;
• to promote the participation of historically disadvantaged individuals in the aquaculture sector;
• to establish an aquaculture development fund; and
• to provide for related matters.
The draft bill is based on the Policy for the Development of a Sustainable Freshwater Aquaculture Sector in South Africa which was published in Notice 1519 in Gazette 29331 on 3 November 2006.
Comment is invited until 31 March 2016.