Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
The department of agriculture, forestry and fisheries (DAFF) is drafting a Liquor Products Amendment Bill and related regulations.
According to a presentation document on the department’s strategic plan for 2012/13 to 2016/17, the draft bill is expected to be published during 2013/14 for comment.
The presentation document was circulated during a recent meeting of the parliamentary portfolio committee on agriculture, forestry and fisheries.
Liquor Products Act 60 of 1989 provides, inter alia, for:
• control over the sale and production for sale of certain alcoholic products;
• the composition and properties of such products;
• information on the containers and labels of such products; and
• control over the import and export of certain alcoholic products.
The statute applies to:
• spirit-based liquors;
• grape-based liquors;
• alcoholic fruit beverages;
• specially authorised liquors; and
• any other liquor for which an import permit has been issued.
It was last amended in 2008.
The strategic plan also refers to the following policies and statutes currently under development:
• phytosanitary policy for plant health;
• draft Plant Protection Bill;
• stock remedies policy;
• draft Pesticides and Animal Medicines Bill;
• national extension policy;
• draft National Extension Bill;
• Agricultural Product Standards Amendment Bill;
• Agricultural Produce Agents Amendment Bill; and
• Farm Feeds and Fertilisers Amendment Bill.