Civilian Secretariat for the Police Service
Civilian Secretariat for Police Service Regulations are in place.
The regulations were drawn up in terms of the Civilian Secretariat for Police Service Act.
They apply to members of the civilian secretariat and provincial secretariats set up in terms of the act and to the police service.
The regulations consist of:
• Values and core principles for the conduct of civilian oversight of the police service;
• Staffing of the civilian secretariat for police;
• Members of the civilian secretariat and provincial secretariats;
• Roles and responsibilities of the civilian secretariat and provincial secretariats;
• Disclosure of information under the control of the civilian secretariat and provincial secretariats;
• Access to premises and information under control of police service;
• Monitoring and evaluation;
• Reporting standards and procedures;
• Reference groups; and
• Co-operative framework.
The civilian secretariat and provincial secretariats are expected to conduct independent civilian oversight with respect to all policing aspects to ensure accountability and transparency by the police service.
All complaints are to be lodged in writing.
The regulations came into force on 11 November 2016.