Department of Water Affairs and Environmental Affairs
The Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs, Edna Molewa, has signed a bilateral agreement on water resources management and water supply with Cuba.
This agreement is the second bilateral water agreement with Cuba since 2001 which allowed for the secondment of two groups of Cuban experts to the water department between 2002 and 2007.
At the signing ceremony in Johannesburg yesterday Molewa said the new agreement “will see us further exchange expertise in the integrated water resources management area”.
This agreement which was negotiated in March this year is focused on Cuban expertise assisting in a wide array of water resource development areas including the following:
• Geo-hydrology and engineering services particularly for rural and disadvantaged areas.
• Exploitation of available water resources.
• Infrastructure for water supply.
• Capacity building through training and support of local staff.
• Water management and water supply.