Department of Transport
The transport minister, Fikile Mbalula, has reiterated that only passengers will be allowed inside airport terminal buildings during COVID-19 Alert Level 3.
Government gave the green light to domestic flights for business travel during level 3.
During a level 3 readiness inspection of Lanseria International Airport, the minister emphasized that it was important to “maintain a delicate balance between enabling mobility and arresting the spread of the virus”.
Stringent measures have to be implemented at airports to allow for the resumption of domestic flights.
A three-phase approach is being employed to re-open the airspace for domestic travel.
Other guidelines that airports need to adhere to include:
• Temperature screening will be mandatory at terminal building entrances before any passenger is allowed entry.
• All passengers to wear masks inside terminal buildings.
• Effective sanitization process to occur before entry into terminal buildings.
• All airline check-in agents to wear face shields and the counters must have protective screens installed.
• All airport personnel to wear masks.
• Staggered boarding at boarding gates.
• Loading capacity for all airport buses to be limited to 70%.
• Passengers to be screened before entering terminal buildings – suspected cases to be referred to Port Health.