Department of Transport
Draft Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Regulations have been published for comment.
The transport department published the draft regulations in Government Gazette 43758.
They were drawn up in terms of the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Amendment Act.
President Ramaphosa assented to the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Amendment Act in August 2019.
The act aims to amend the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Act of 1998, in order to:
• substitute and insert certain definitions;
• improve the manner of serving documents to infringers;
• add to the functions of the Road Traffic Infringement Authority;
• repeal certain obsolete provisions;
• establish and administer rehabilitation programmes;
• provide for the apportionment of penalties;
• provide for the establishment of the Appeals Tribunal and matters related thereto;
• effect textual corrections; and
• provide for matters connected therewith.
The act is still to come into effect.
The draft regulations focus on the adjudication procedure; appeals tribunal; penalties, discount, fees and costs; demerit points, disqualifications, cancellations and rehabilitation programmes; manner of payment; record keeping and service of documents.
Schedule 3 focuses on demerit points and penalties.
Comment is invited within 60 days of the date of publication.